“A Thanksgiving to Remember”
for Guests of Cherry Street Mission Ministries
~by Mainstreet Ventures Inc.
Toledo, OH – We have an amazing community! With more people reaching out for help, we are blessed with more people reaching out to serve those in need. Cherry Street Mission Ministries, the largest shelter for homeless in NW Ohio and SE Michigan, has teamed with Mainstreet Ventures’ Toledo-area restaurants including The Real Seafood Company, Zia’s, Ciao! and Revolution Grille to “Provide a Meal and Hope” for guests of Cherry Street Mission Ministries on Thanksgiving Day. Over 150 hundred volunteers of Cherry Street Mission Ministries and The Real Seafood Company, Zia’s, Ciao! and Revolution Grille will work to serve over 1200 meals for guests of Cherry Street Mission Ministries and deliver Thanksgiving to-go dinners to over 800 people this year.
Cherry Street Mission “Provide a Meal and Hope.”
The Mission throughout the year works to support the community. This dinner is specifically for Cherry Street Mission Ministry guests that have a designated voucher to attend dinner on Thanksgiving Day.
Two groups of volunteers will serve the guests, first group starting at 9am, second group starting at 11am.
- From 9am-11am: Cherry Street Mission Ministries’ volunteers will pick up and deliver 800 hot meals to families in the community.
- From 11am-4pm: Real Seafood Co., Zia’s, Ciao! and Revolution Grille staff and their family and friends will be serving – linens and all – to 1200 guests of Cherry Street Mission Ministries – this includes those who seek shelter at Cherry Street Mission Ministries and a variety of clients from the following organizations; Bethany House, La Posada, South Toledo Community Center, Family House, Helping Hands of St. Louis, Trinity Methodist Church, Salvation Army and The Beach House.
The Thanksgiving Dinner meal was created by Mainstreet Ventures Executive Chef Brent Courson. The meal is a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with farm fresh turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, whole grain rolls, tossed fresh green salad and vegetables. The dessert is pumpkin pie topped with homemade whipped cream.
- Mainstreet Ventures will collectively volunteer more than 800 hours between preparation and planning for this grand event.
- Over 150 volunteers help serve over 2,000 guests this year, preparing and delivering the meals on table tops and in homes.
- Roughly 1,500 pounds of turkey breast, 200 pies, 3,500 dinner rolls, 360 pounds of broccoli, 300 pounds of stuffing and 800 pounds of potatoes are required to pull off this event- all donated!
We would like to extend a special thank you to the many suppliers that kindly donated products and services to make this event possible. Donations were provided by:
- Al Peake & Sons Foodservice for fresh broccoli, bowls, cutlery kits and paper bags
- Gordon Food Service for turkeys, pies, rolls, stuffing and cranberry sauce
- Great Lakes Coffee Roasting Co. for coffee
- Miceli & Oldfield for dairy products
- NuCentury for linens and towels
- Preferred Brands Produce for fresh salads and produce
- Sam Okun Produce for fresh broccoli
- The Image Group for volunteer t-shirts
Additional donations are provided by Toledo’s favorite magicians Andrew Martin and his son Eli, as they delight guests of Cherry Street Mission Ministries and perform unexpected and baffling entertainment and sleight-of-hand magic. Information at: www.AndrewMartinMagic.com
About Cherry Street Mission Ministries
Founded in 1947, Cherry Street Mission Ministries provides food, clothing, emergency shelter, transitional housing, and the transforming message of Jesus Christ to the poor and homeless in Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan. We currently serve, on average, 900 meals a day to men, women, and children, and provide overnight shelter and programming to more than 250 men and women every night. Cherry Street is privately funded and does not receive government funding.
Many thanks to our volunteers that made this event a success!